Reasons for Low Sex Drive In Women
Sex can not be just done without the right mood. One needs to prepare for it, mentally, emotionally, and physically. In women, sex drive can vary from time to time and periods of life. Major changes in life like illness, pregnancy, or menopause can affect the sex drive in women. Moreover, some drugs, mostly the ones used to treat mood disorders can cause low sex drive in women too.
A disorder known as hypoactive sexual desire disorder, now known as female sexual interest/arousal disorder is a medical condition that causes lowered sexual desire in women. Many women ignore the symptoms of hypoactive sexual desire disorder by mixing them with aging or hormonal changes in their bodies. If you are having low sexual desire for a long time, you should visit a sexologist in Islamabad.
Symptoms of HSDD
Having fluctuations in sexual desire is completely normal as the different stages of life approach you. But if it continues for a long time, like more than six months, it needs attention as it can be a symptom of hypoactive sexual desire disorder. If it affects your relationship with your partner and self-esteem, then it needs attention and you must visit your healthcare provider. Symptoms associated with HSDD can be;
- The interest in sexual activity gets low to little
- No or very few sexual thoughts and fantasies
- No interest in initiating sex
- Not getting pleasure from sex
- Lack of pleasure when genitals are stimulated
For sex, you need to prepare yourself, not just for physical exertion but also mentally and emotionally. How can you feel good when your heart and mind are not at peace? What pleasure can sex give you when you are not ready mentally and physically?
Current relationship, how you are feeling, experiences, beliefs, and lifestyle, all of them shape up sex. They can affect your sexual activity. Things that affect your sexual activity are;
- Having pain during sex
- Having any disease that affects sex drive like arthritis, cancer, neurological conditions, hypertension, or coronary artery disease
- Taking certain medications that affect sex drive like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Drinking too much alcohol and too much smoking can also lower sex drive
- Getting any surgery of genitals or breast that affect your look can lower sex desire
- Working all day and getting fatigued
Hormones can fluctuate and affect your sex life. It can happen during;
- Menopause- During menopause, estrogen levels decline, causing low sex drive and dryness of the vaginal tissue that makes it difficult to arouse.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding- pregnancy and breastfeeding can alter your hormones, causing low sex drive. These changes also cause fatigue, stress, physical stress, irritability, and depression, that in turn, also hinders sexual life.
Your mind and heart play an essential role in sex life. Psychological issues can hinder your sexual life due to reasons like;
- Mental health problems, such as anxiety or depression
- Low self-esteem
- History of physical or sexual abuse
- Stress, such as financial stress or work stress
- Poor body image
- Previous negative sexual experiences
- Low self-esteem
For women, emotional closeness is an essential factor to have sex. Therefore, any problems in your relationship can affect your sexual life miserably like;
- Lack of connection with your partner
- Trust issues
- Unresolved conflicts or fights
- Poor communication of sexual needs and preferences
Sex needs a mental rapport, an emotional connection, and affection. It can not be done just in hurry. You should be kind to your partner. If any one of them, either woman or a man faces any difficulty you should have a heart-to-heart conversation with them in a time when you are free and have no disturbances. If you have any problem in your sexual life, you must consult with the best sexologist in Lahore.