Advantages And Disadvantages of Settling Your Car Accident Claim Out-of-Court
Soon after you file a car accident claim, the insurance company will offer you a first settlement offer based on the evidence you provide. Many people are afraid that the company will not provide them more money and accept the first settlement offer without considering the pros and cons.
Do not accept the first settlement offer without a Rockford Illinois Car Accident Lawyer. Often the insurance company looks for their best interest and tries to minimize the compensation amount. Therefore, discuss your settlement offer with your lawyer.
You either have an option to settle for the compensation amount or take your case to court. Here are the pros and cons of settling your car accident claim out-of-court.
Settling your car accident claim out-of-court can benefit the victim in multiple ways. Here are a few pros.
- Quick process: Since the settlement will be directly offered, you do not have to drag yourself into the process of litigation. Your lawyer can talk to the insurance company and get a quick compensation.
- Less anxiety: When you take your case to trial, you will have to make several decisions, negotiate, interview, and more. Additionally, there is a lot of paperwork involved in the process. Therefore, settling the case outside the court can eliminate the stress and reduce anxiety.
- Less expensive: when your case goes to trial, there will be a lot of work to do for your lawyer. Hence, your expenses may go higher.
- Higher privacy protection: If the case is settled outside court, various information will remain private. However, when a car accident case goes to trial, there may be much confidential information that will be revealed publicly.
- More predictable outcome: When the case is to trial, the decision will take longer. Whereas, when your case does not go to trial, your lawyer can have more control over your case and predict the outcome quickly.
Sometimes settling the case out-of-court may not be the best option for the victim. There are various disadvantages of settling your case outside court. Therefore, before you settle the case out-of-court, consider these cons.
- Less settlement offer: The insurance company will always look for their best interest. Therefore, the settlement that they offer will be less than you deserve. This is why the victim can take the case to trial.
- Awareness: In cases of settling the case out-of-court, the awareness may not be there.
It is advisable not to accept the first settlement offer without considering a lawyer. Speak to an experienced lawyer today!